Thursday, February 16, 2006

Waist Management.

One of the most boring things on the web has got to be the diet blog. Tough shit. If you don't like it there are plenty of other things to read.

Just as The Writings of Shoelace is insane loop of logic by which to improve the quality of my life in general, this page deals with my quality of health.

Some eat to live, others live to eat. I certainly fall into the latter camp. When I wake up in the morning, I'm generally cheery, primarily due to the fact that breakfast is not far away. I'm always grumpy however, if a meal turns out to be less than a culinary triumph, the missed opportunity never failing to sour my mood.

I've never particularly enjoyed excercise. I find sweating copiously as distasteful as, well, being all stinky and that; the only problem is, tying my shoelaces is often all it takes to induce it.

I have to admit I am out of shape, (although round is still a shape as far as I know). In fact, I'm technically obese. The nurse told me at my local surgery. This is bullshit. In my mind obesity equates to back-fat and cankles. I have neither, and only two chins to speak of. I have a physical job and perform as well as expected. I generally wear XL clothing. My blood pressure is normal, and I don't have diabetes (I checked!).
The thing is, obesity is a concept that is being continually redefined. The process used to brand me a fatty calculates body mass index (BMI), by dividing my weight by my height squared. To be obese means I have a BMI of between 30.00 - 34.99 kilograms per metre square. Any more than that would make me morbidly obese. This information doesn't particularly scare me to be honest, it just offends me. I don't like being called obese.
The truth of it is, despite this unwanted information, I would certainly feel a lot better about myself were I to lose weight, and it certainly would improve my health. So the idea is this:
I'm going to avoid fad diets, and just eat sensibly. I still intend to eat well, just a little differently and a little less. I also need to take up some excercise.
I'm going to begin my new regime as soon as possible, but diets start on Mondays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home